Amir Ali Sher Nawaie was established in 1368. At first, it was both a male and
female school but in different shifts until 1390. In 1390, it became a female
school and students are now studying in three shifts. It has 29 classes, more
than 4,000 students and 155 teachers. It is located in the north part of Herat
city, on Qhol Ordo Street. First, the number of male and female was about
460 students and increasing. This school has two buildings which were built by
an Iranian, Makhmal Baf. Ali sher Nawaie is equipped with a physics,
chemistry and mathematics laboratory, and has two computer classes. One
was founded by PRT and another one, more recently was built by Film Annex.
This is one of the fifth schools in the British Council Project in Afghanistan
which first connects these 5 schools in Herat (Ali sher Nawaie, Tajrobawi,
Goharshad, Tohid, Enqhelab) together and then with a London school
students to learn new methodologies and technologies. Alisher Nawaie won a
Photography and poems competition which was held by the British Council.