Digital Citizen Fund
The Digital Citizen Fund is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization founded in New York City. The Digital Citizen Fund helps girls and women in developing countries gain access to technology, virtually connect with others across the world, and obtain necessary skills to succeed in today’s expanding global market.
To accomplish this, the Digital Citizen Fund has built eleven Internet Training Centers and two stand-alone media centers in partnership with MTI (presently known as Bitlanders) and the Afghan Citadel. Through this collaboration, we have successfully enrolled over 9,000 young women in Kabul and Herat. We have recently expanded operations in Mexico as part of our effort to provide better opportunities for girls and women around the world. We are ready to scale our highly successful model to other countries as funding becomes available.
- Create Digital Citizens that are capable and confident in their VOICE
- Empower women and children in developing countries to establish SUSTAINABLE ECONOMIC LIVELIHOODS
- Encourage personal GLOBAL CONNECTIVITY to inspire and raise cultural awareness
- Provide SAFE, ACCESSIBLE ENVIRONMENTS for individual and cultural expression
We create IT Centers, provide digital literacy tools (such as computers, smartphones, tablets) and educational programs for women and children in developing countries. Technology can support human talent to tackle the urgent social needs of women throughout Afghanistan and globally. Providing underserved populations with a pathway to digital literacy, sustainability, and community building can transform the societies in which they live for the better.
Timeline and Recognition
- 10 IT Training centers built in Afghanistan by support of Francesco Rulli and Roya Mahboob.
- Women’s Annex pay platform launched in Afghanistan.
- Roya Mahboob is named TIME 100 Most Influential People in the World.
- Roya Mahboob and Francesco Rulli founded Women’s Annex Foundation, now DCF.
- 11th and 12th IT centers are built.
- Women’s Annex pay platform launched in Pakistan and Egypt.
- Roya Mahboob receives Civic Innovator Award from the National Democracy Institute.
- DCF receives MOU from Afghanistan's Ministry of Education.
- 13th IT center built through donations by Craig Newmark and Francesco Ruilli.
- Roya Mahboob honored at Tribeca Disruptive Innovation Awards.
- Sheryl Sandberg, Biz Stone joins donor list.
- Training program and workshops launched in Mexico.
- Women’s Annex Foundation becomes Digital Citizens Fund.
- Roya Mahboob is named as World Economic Forum Young Global Leaders 2015.
what is digital literacy?
The knowledge and ability to connect, produce, share, and collaborate through a range of technologically based tools.
Digital Literacy Program